"I can do all things through Christ, because He gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Memories of a Lifetime







What a lovely day we had with my in-laws yesterday. I am truly blessed to have married into a family that I love and loves me.

John's sister, Gail and her sweet hubby, John have a wonderful home filled with memories and have incorporated Ken and Virginia's lives into those memories since they combined households about 1 1/2 years ago. Virginia is in the advanced stage of Alzheimer's and is on hospice care.
They have her hospital bed in the family room and keep her in the midst of activity as much as possible.

Several friends came to the celebration yesterday and it was wonderful to see them interact with her. We took pictures, ate (mostly them, not me too much) and talked and visited. Gail had us all "circle up" and John (R.) prayed a blessing over this occasion of joy. Then we all sang the alma mater of Abilene Christian University (this is a powerful memory for Virginia, as she didn't know any lullabies and this is the song she sang to all of her babies) As we sang, Virginia sang along with us and didn't miss a beat! We sang another "church song" and again she sang right with us. John said, "Well, she may not know any of her sons, but she knows her God." Gail told several stories of Virginia's lucid moments since she has been with them and it was joyful. I am so thankful for Gail and John who generously devote their lives, home, time and energy to my sweet parents-in-law. Ken is in a wonderful home and able to stay with Virginia because of this arrangement. He is the epitome of unconditional love toward Virginia, never wavering from his devotion to her.
I am counting my blessings today and my heart is filled.

I took my own food for the weekend and then nibbled along at the appropriate times. The family (except for Virginia, Gail and John K.) went to eat lunch Saturday @ Cracker Barrel. I had a cup of vegetable soup, and some cornbread in it, nibbled on a biscuit too. It was all great- no pain, or "rejection" by my tummy. At the party, I nibbled a few pretzels. On the way home, I had my protein drink, and nibbled on some of John K.'s pickled okra (Yummy!) and it was all fine. I am thinking that this idea of "nibbling" is on the right track.

1 John 4: 7-8 (NIV)

"7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."

I will try to post some pictures here, later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment