"I can do all things through Christ, because He gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Why?

Here is the prolog to the surgery.

In Dec. of 2009 John came home with a success story from one of his clients. The lap-band was the treatment of choice. When he told me the story I was so excited that he would even consider a procedure-(not happening before this) I talked to my endocrinologist (diabetes) and asked him about it and his face lit up! He said I was a perfect candidate. He referred me to the Dr.s at Bariatric Medical Institute of Texas in San Antonio. They were having an informational seminar the next Saturday. I looked online and downloaded a 20 page document to fill out before attending the seminar. Because of the seminar, we both thought the bypass was the choice for me.

While we were attending the presentation, the support staff of BMI were going over the medical history, checking on insurance, etc. At noon, we were finished and they spoke with me about what they had discovered. My insurance would only pay if I did a pretty long protocol of requisites first. They could manage all of that through their office. Then there was a "catch." The surgery had to be done at a hospital rated "Blue Distinction" by the insurance company. The only hospitals with that rating were in Houston or Dallas. So, what to do? BMI referred us to another Dr. in Houston. In January of 2010 we went to Houston (day trip) and met his co-worker who does all the preliminary consultation. We got set up and had labs done that day at a hospital in Houston.
BMI would supervise the other protocols for me.
They included:
  • 3month medically supervised diet.
  • upper abdominal ultra sound
  • EGD test (looks at the esophagus and stomach for any problems)
  • Blood work
  • Psych eval.
One Sat. morning, I was in SA for a test and the center didn't have my orders. I called the BMI office and Dr. Seger called me right back. I explained the condensed version of all of this and he called in the orders. We got the test done and afterward, Seger called me again. He wanted to understand what my situation was, and listened intently as I explained all of it. He asked questions and then he said, "So you are waiting until June to have the surgery?" Yes. "Well just so you know your options, we are supposed to have a hospital with that rating in late June or early July." No hesitaiton! San Antonio was so much more appealing for many reasons. So I said yes, we will move to BMI in SA.

Are you still reading this??? ok well to continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment