"I can do all things through Christ, because He gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

Friday, October 8, 2010

All is well......

I had some interesting developments on the recovery path. I have been having some trouble eating- pain, some nausea and it was causing concern that I was somehow not doing it right or that there was a problem. So I called BMI yesterday morning and spoke with a nurse. She said Dr. Seger would want me to come in so I made an appointment for the afternoon.

When I saw Dr. Seger, we went to the "x-ray room" to see what might be happening. I did a "Barium Swallow" (you can see this procedure on a video if you click on the link) It was a very interesting procedure and pleasant. The barium didn't taste bad, and I was standing up against an upright table of sorts. The screen showing the path of the swallow was easily visible. It showed that my new insides were functioning properly. YAY- and that where my little pouch connected to the intestine at the bottom, was rather narrow. This is normal and there may still be some swelling there further constricting the opening. If needed, there is a dilation procedure (much like a balloon procedure for the heart vessels) if necessary to open that connection more, but then the weight loss is impacted from then on. Mine doesn't need that procedure and Dr. Seger said that the body will adjust it on its own. Amazing!

Here is what I learned:
  • The challenges I have with eating right now are typical and to be expected
  • As the body heals it will adjust
  • I know what to do to stay on track: drink water, soft foods (high protein), exercise
  • I haven't "messed up" anything
  • I need to STOP weighing every day - once a week is better
  • I can always call BMI if I have questions or concerns
I feel much more confident going into this big wedding weekend. (My youngest son is getting married on Sunday.)

here is my verse for today:
2 Timothy 1:7
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."

Blessings,
Cheryl

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome! Super glad everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete